• Undertake to understand and meet all of its legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
• Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
• Approve annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions.
• Review program outcomes and regularly measure organizational performance and effectiveness.
• Partner with the ED to ensure that board resolutions are implemented.
• Serve as trusted advisors to the ED as she develops and implements Apprentice Learning’s operational
and strategic plans.
• Undertake an annual performance evaluation of the ED.
• Serve on various committees or task forces and will take on special assignments as needed.
• Represent AL to current and future constituents, acting as ambassadors for the organization.
• Ensure a commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities AL serves.
• Assist the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting new board members.
|The Board supports the work of Apprentice Learning (AL) by overseeing the strategic governance of the
organization, and by providing leadership, together with the Executive Director (ED), to further AL’s mission.
Board commitment to, and involvement in, AL’s educational goals is critical to the organization’s success.
|Communications, Digital Marketing, Finance, Fundraising, Information Technology, Legal, Marketing
|1 to 3 hours/month
|We expect our board members to make sizable contributions. Please contact for more information.
|Directors should have recognized leadership in education, nonprofit sector, business, government, or
philanthropy. Ideal candidates should have the following qualifications:
• A commitment to and understanding of Apprentice Learning’s mission;
• A commitment to supporting and promoting a diverse organization that is representative of the
population we serve;
• Diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships, and for persuading, convening,
facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
• Personal qualities of integrity, accountability and a passion for improving the lives of Boston’s youth.
“Apprentice Learning provides real-world work experiences for eighth graders. At such a critical period in a young person’s life, these are the opportunities that ignite growth and change: sparking passions and interests, giving purpose to the present, and more importantly, to a young person’s future. Our aim is to launch dreams and plans for our city’s youth that lead to success in high school, college and career. At Apprentice Learning, experience ignites purpose.