Board Member – Technology
|Our board||The WalkBoston Board is responsible for the strategic governance and oversight of the
organization. Working with the Executive Director, the Board ensures the organization’s
financial health and that the strategic plan and goals are aligned with the mission and vision.
Board members are committed to serving as advocates for WalkBoston with and to the
|Position||We are interested in Board members who will bring a variety of expertise to the organization including:
|Data Analysis, Engineering, Multimedia, Web Design, Web Development, Information Technology*|
|When||WalkBoston’s Board meets once every six weeks, alternating between in-person meetings in downtown Boston and meetings over the phone. Meetings are Tuesday from 5:30pm – 7pm EST unless otherwise stated.|
|Commitment||3 to 5 hours/month|
|Donation||We strive for 100% board giving, but have no strict guidelines around financial contributions.|
|Requirements||Board members participate in the following ways:
• Attend Board and committee meetings and significant organizational events.
• Chair and/or participate in at least one Board committee.
• Participate in establishing and maintaining organizational policies.
• Oversee the financial health of the organization.
• Make an annual contribution at a level commensurate with personal capacity.
• Participate actively in organizational fundraising activities.
• Identify friends and associates who might be prospective donors or
• Participate in hiring and periodic evaluation of WalkBoston’s Executive Director.
• Support and advise the Executive Director as appropriate.
• Participate actively in assessing WalkBoston’s performance and setting its
strategic goals and objectives.
• Serve as an ambassador for WalkBoston in the community.
|On-boarding||Following confirmation of a new board member, an onboarding process includes documentation for the new member to read as well as an opportunity to meet or speak with several staff and board members that they may not have already met during the recruitment process.|
WalkBoston is a nonprofit organization dedicated to making walking safer and easier in Massachusetts to encourage better health, a cleaner environment and more vibrant communities. Founded in 1990, WalkBoston was the first organization in the U.S. dedicated to pedestrian advocacy. WalkBoston provides technical assistance to many community groups and municipalities, advocates for change with local and state government, and serves as a model for other pedestrian advocacy organizations throughout the nation.