|The Board of Advisors is a committee of the Board of Boston Harbor Now, created to:
● encourage and foster the mission of the organization as ambassadors of Boston Harbor Now;
● provide input, expertise, resources, and knowledge on the strategy, programs, and fundraising
efforts of the organization; and
● supplement the background of the Board of Trustees with specific skills, networks, and
experience needed by the organization to accomplish its goals.
The Board of Advisors will support the work of Boston Harbor Now and provide mission-based
leadership and will serve as ambassadors for the organization. Its composition is intended to represent
the diversity of interests we serve as well as the expertise needed to accomplish our priorities. While
day-to-day operations are led by the chief executive officer (CEO), the Advisor-CEO relationship is a
partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board of Advisors is both critical and expected.
As an advisor, you are required to
● Attend at least two meetings a year of the Board of Advisors and at least one other event
● Act as ambassadors for the organization, increase communications to and from influential
people in the communities Boston Harbor Now serves, and act as a sounding board on areas of
focus to Boston Harbor Now management staff and Trustees.
● Participate in at least one board committee, task force, or fundraising committee
● Make a financial contribution to the organization of at least $1,000/year
● Introduce the organization to other potential supporters
Membership and Terms of Service
The Board of Advisors consists of up to thirty (30) Advisors. The Board of Trustees elects advisors. The
Chair of the Board of Advisors is elected by the Board of Trustees from among the Advisors, and serves
on the Board of Trustees as an Ex-Officio Board Member. There are 3 classes of Advisors, with staggered
three-year terms so that approximately one third of the Advisors are elected each year. No Advisor may
serve for more than two consecutive terms.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Boston Harbor Now’s
mission. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing
individuals and help position and sustain Boston Harbor Now as a leading civic organization in Boston.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
● Accomplished in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
● A commitment to and understanding of Boston Harbor Now’s mission and constituencies
● Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and inspiring, convening,
facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for Boston Harbor, the waterfront and
Service on Boston Harbor Now’s Board of Advisors is without remuneration.
|Twice a year as a full Board. June and Nov/Dec. Committee meetings in addition and cadence varies from monthly to quarterly depending on which committee you serve on.
|Hybrid (Zoom + In person)
|1 to 3 hours/month
|We expect our board members to make sizable contributions. Please contact for more information.
|We have an onboarding session post the Annual Meeting in June with all new Trustees, Advisors, Chairs, as well as staff.
The Boston Harbor Now educates, advocates and celebrates to achieve our vision of a Boston Harbor that connects coastal communities from Winthrop to Hull.
Animals, Education, Environment