|Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC)
BOARD OF ADVISORS
Advisors are expected to contribute to the organization in the following ways:
Acting as an ambassador:
• Gain a working knowledge of the mission, history, impact, initiatives, and ongoing activities of the organization
• Understand the diverse communities that TIOBEC serves
• Experience the mission firsthand by participating in at least one Outward Bound Invitational course per term and by attending a minimum of one programmatic event per term (i.e. education conversation, Boston Public School site visit, graduations, etc.)
Giving of their time:
• Attend the Board of Advisors orientation
• Attend the Board of Advisors annual Forum as well as the May and September Trustee meetings as non-voting participants
• Serve on a standing board committee or fundraising event committee
|MEMBER; BOARD OF ADVISORS - Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC) Advisors provide valuable expertise, access to their networks, and make volunteer and philanthropic contributions to further the mission of the organization. They have the opportunity to be closely involved with the organization through committee participation with the board and may consider Trusteeship subsequently.
|Branding, Business Development, Communications, Digital Marketing, Diversity/Inclusion, Fundraising, Grants, Human Resources, Information Technology, Marketing, Public Relations, Web Design, Web Development, Writing/Editing
|Two to Three times per year including an annual meeting with the Board of Trustees and Staff
|On Thompson Island for the Annual meeting and in a Board Rooms around the City of Boston for orientation which is currently online.
|3 to 5 hours/month
|We require a specific amount of “give or get” for all board members.
Advisors will become actively involved. The more engaged Advisors become, the more everyone benefits from their service to the community.
Advisors are appointed for three years and may be asked to serve additional terms.
|Once a recommendation has been accepted by the TIOBEC Nominating Committee a call or visit will be arranged with the TIOBEC Board of Advisors Chair.
Candidate will receive a formal orientation session and will be assigned a TIOBEC Staff Liason and peer Advisor.
Thompson Island Outward Bound plays a crucial role in closing opportunity gaps in Boston by providing multi-year hands-on STEM and outdoor learning programs to hundreds middle school students in the Boston Public Schools annually.
Children, Education, Environment